It is important to understand that only Exchange Server 2007 SP1 RTM (without any existing Exchange Server 2007 RTM) can be setup on the Windows Server 2008 platform. Any other combination such as upgrading Exchange Server 2007 RTM already installed on Windows Server 2003 to Exchange Server 2007 SP1 follow by upgrading to Windows Server 2008 is not a supported scenario. Learn more here.
Archive for November, 2007
Great news! RTM on the same day* as Exchange Server 2007 SP1, Forefront Security for Exchange Server 2007 with SP1 is now available for download (registration required). The latter is the only supported version and is required *prior* to the installation of Exchange Server 2007 SP1 RTM itself.
If you are new to Forefront Security for Exchange Server 2007, you can install Forefront SP1 as a full installation on top of either Exchange 2007 RTM or Exchange 2007 SP1 RTM.
See the Microsoft Forefront Server Security Blog for the official announcement here.
* Thu 29 Nov 2007
The wait is over - Exchange Server 2007 SP1 officially goes RTM and is now available for download at a site near you (registration required)!
Make sure that you spend some time to review the following important documentation:
Have fun with the new SP1!
Update: 30 Nov 2007 0400 hrs GMT + 4
The Exchange team blog has finally announced officially the general availability of Exchange Server 2007 SP1 since this blog post went live.
Technorati tags: Exchange Server
With over 1′000 registrations to-date, you will not want to miss the opportunity to be part of this year’s biggest Microsoft TechDays 2007 event taking place next week 4-5 Dec 2007 in Dubai. Come listen and talk to our great line-up of seasoned and experienced speakers - both local and international - on a wide range of exciting topics in 3 different technical tracks. So do yourself a favor and click on the banner to register today!
I shall be speaking on the topic “Virtualization Today and Tomorrow” scheduled on Tue 4 Dec 2007 from 1115 to 1215 hrs in place of my colleague Michael Anderberg.
Virtualization is gaining a foothold in the data center, enabling more efficient utilization of hardware and helping IT react more quickly to changing demands. This session introduces the Microsoft Virtualization story, its capabilities, and the benefits customers are seeing. We look at how Microsoft will evolve the technology with the introduction of Hypervisor in Windows Server 2008.
Note that the agenda on the official web site at www.techdaysgulf.com may not be updated yet.
Taking place tomorrow Thu 29 Nov 2007 in Abu Dhabi, I shall be representing Microsoft Gulf (Dubai) in the delivery of the highly anticipated session on “Driving a Virtualized Datacenter with Microsoft Hyper-V (Windows Server Virtualization)” at the Intel Data Center Summit.
More information and registration can be found here.
There are a couple of salient points that you should watch out in the setup of Microsoft Forefront Security for Exchange Server (2007). Here is a short step-by-step guide after you start setup.exe from the CD.
- Click Next at the Welcome screen.
- Read, understand then hit Yes to accept the license agreement.
- Specify your user name and organization then click Next.
- Leave the default at Local Installation then hit Next. Choose only the Remote installation option if you want to setup Forefront on another remote machine.
- Select the Full Installation option or the Client - Admin console only option then click Next.
- Pick the default of Secure Mode to enable already quarantined items (for redelivery) to be rescanned otherwise use Compatibility Mode. Hit Next.
- Accept the randomly selected anti-virus engines or choose your preferred ones before clicking Next. You can choose up to a maximum of 5 AV engines.
- Press Next on the Engine Updates Required dialog.
- Click Browse if you want to change the suggested path else hit Next.
- Hit Next to accept the proposed Program Folder (or change first if needed).
- Review and confirm the Current Settings dialog then click Next.
- At the Restart Exchange Transport Service dialog, click Next.
- After a short moment, click Next only when the Status reads All services started!
- Hit Finish to conclude setup.
- Start Forefront using Start / All Programs / Microsoft Forefront Server Security / Exchange Server / Forefront Server Secuirty Administrator
- When you start Forefront for the first time, click OK at the License Information prompt.
- Type or select the server name at the Connect to Server then press OK.
- Punch in the product key and hit OK.
( click on banner for more information and registration)
Come join us next week 4-5 Dec 2007 in Dubai at the Al Habtoor Grand Hotel for the inaugural TechDays event in the gulf region for 2 exciting days of IT knowledge extravaganza. I shall be speaking on the following topics so come by and say hello :)
Day 1 - Server Management Made Easy: Powershell, Server Core and More
This session focuses on tools, technologies and installation options that are available for use on Windows Server 2008 to improve the management experience of single and multiple servers across an enterprise - PowerShell, Server Core, the new Server Manager and much more.
Day 2 - Securing Your Exchange Server
In this session, we will look at how you can secure your Exchange Server with Forefront for Exchange. We will look at how this provides antivirus and anti-spam protection. We will also cover how Forefront for Exchange Server fits into the overall enterprise topography. Microsoft Forefront Security for Exchange Server includes multiple scan engines from industry-leading security firms, integrated in a single solution to help businesses protect their Exchange messaging environments from viruses, worms, and spam.
Compared to using air, extended bottom time and reduction in nitrogen exposures are two key benefits of recreational diving with nitrox. Instead of the regular 21% oxygen, you get to learn about the various gas mixes and the allowable depths, plus all the important knowledge around diving with enriched air.
All PADI dive enthusiasts (air or Nitrox) are invited to contact me to plan our next buddy dives together. Note that I shall be spending a substantial amount of time working and traveling in the gulf region in the coming months. Great reef, wreck and deep dives - to name a few exciting options - await you here!
Total Mobility - Connect from Anywhere is the theme of the final installment of the very successful monthly series of technical events by the Swiss IT Pro User Group this year. Two hot topics will be presented by our guest speaker from Clue AG and our very own Microsoft Exchange MVP.
Click here for more information and registration.