An authoritative learning resource to quickly get up to speed with new features and changes in Windows PowerShell is to consult the excellent built-in help system directly. This is provided that Update-Help is executed beforehand. Besides using ?* wildcards against the Get-Help (help or man) or Get-Command cmdlets to discover and learn more about a specific cmdlet set or feature, you should peruse the set of about_* help files to aid in your learning endeavours.
One good place to start is to run
help about_Windows_PowerShell_5.0 -ShowWindow
This help file continues to carry the same name under the production releases of Windows Server 2016, Windows 10 Anniversary Update or systems with WMF 5.1 installed. Interesting enough, it still refers to the former two as “Windows Server Technical Preview and Windows Technical Preview” in the documentation. Not surprisingly, certain inaccurate information remain such as references to a non-existence Compare-DscConfiguration, Test-ModuleManifest (which is already present in PowerShell 4.0) or “A new module, OneGet, lets you discover and install software packages …” (now formally call PackageManagement). Likewise, the provided links such as “What’s New in Windows PowerShell” contains information which are not necessarily updated# (Last Updated: 12/14/2016).
Now you may wonder what this blog post is all about?
Continue reading “HELP: PowerShell 5.1 / 5.0 What’s New (and More)”
Although Windows Server 2016 has been officially released since 26 Sep 2016 (Ignite conference in Atlanta), it is still not listed as a supported server operating system platform to install or operate Skype for Business Server 2015. Likewise, this applies to domain controllers in the Active Directory environment.
Per “Server requirements for Skype for Business Server 2015” (TechNet – Topic Last Modified: 2017-02-23):
Windows Server 2016 is not included in this list right now, but we’re planning to add it as a supported option after Skype for Business Server Cumulative Update 5 is released. Until then, please don’t try to use Windows Server 2016 as an OS for your Skype for Business deployment today, as it’s not yet supported, and we don’t recommend it. And check back to this page once the cumulative update is released to confirm Windows Server 2016 is added to our supported list at that time.
Additionally, PowerShell 5.1 is delivered in Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Build 1607). On supported legacy and down-level Windows operating systems, you can apply Windows Management Framework 5.1 (KB3191565) to update to this current version. Nevertheless, WMF 5.1 is marked as incompatible with Skype for Business Server 2015 (or for that matter Lync Server 2013 and 2010).
The golden rule “If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it” should apply (particularly on live production systems)!
Announcing the launch of Windows Server 2016 (Hybrid Cloud Blog link)
Windows Server 2016 RTM, System Center 2016 RTM and Azure Stack TP2 – now available (link)
Requirements for your Skype for Business environment (TechNet link)
WMF 5.1 Product Compatibility Status (Last Updated: 1/31/2017 link)
Improvements and fixes as described in “Updates for Skype for Business Server 2015” (KB3061064)
- version 9319.277 released 13 Feb 2017 (download SkypeServerUpdateInstaller.exe)
- support Skype for Business mobile clients in Location-Based Routing
- 3212371 Skype for Business Server 2015 installer can’t update necessary drivers (Media Relay driver)
- 3209571 LastActive attribute provides inaccurate information about a user’s presence status in Skype for Business
- 3209570 You can’t set mobile phone number if it matches work phone number in Skype for Business Server 2015
- 3209569 Display name in contact cards is not returned in Skype for Business Server 2015
- 3209568 Add Push Notification support for Skype for Business for iOS and Android clients in Skype for Business Server 2015
- 3209567 Add a flag to the Web.config file to allow Join Launcher to accept across-domain anonymous meeting join requests
- 3209566 Skype for Business Server 2015 installer may fail silently in Windows Server 2016
- 3209565 Enhanced 911 (E911) calls using Skype for Business 2016 on Mac don’t work through the non-Windows authentication in Skype for Business Server 2015
- 3209563 Update reverts the Application Sharing Server (ASMCU) changes in CU4 in Skype for Business Server 2015
- 3207037 UCWA may crash when parsing the ms-trunking-peer header in Skype for Business Server 2015
- 4014212 “Screen presenting is not supported with this contact” error when sharing desktop between the Windows and Mac Skype for Business 2016 client
Skype for Business Server 2015 Cumulative Updates (CU) List (link)