I am super excited to share with you an online video course for IT Pros and DevOps which I authored entitled “Core Administration – Skype for Business Server”. You can learn at your own pace with this practical course with lots of demo touching on premise to cloud deployments (Office 365 / Skype for Business Online).
Sign up for this (and other great) course(s) at Pluralsight today. Looking forward to your support and feedback!
Skype for Business Server empowers seamless communications and data sharing anywhere from desktop to mobile. This course will teach you the core administrative aspects from system and user management to practical troubleshooting tips and tricks.
Operating a complex platform like Unified Communications and Collaboration to provide seamless access across typical productivity tools and applications is a challenging undertaking. In this course, Core Administration – Skype for Business Server, you’ll learn the foundational knowledge of system and user management.
First, you will acquire the skill to handle core user administration, policies, and configuration settings. Next, you’ll learn how to manage topology, define system components, and behavior to control access privileges. Finally, you’ll understand how to deploy tools and applications to effectively troubleshoot and support the environment.
When you’re finished with this course, you’ll gain the essential skills and know-how to run a smooth and problem-free infrastructure.
As a bonus, this course takes a look at on-premise vs. Skype for Business Online (Office 365) deployment scenarios in addition to management using PowerShell Remoting and a reference test lab topology to help complement your learning experience.
#skype4b #skype #lync #powershell
With Lync Server 2013 Administrative Tools (OCSCore.msi) locally installed, execution of the following remote PowerShell statement to connect to Skype for Business Online will trigger a prompt for TargetServer as shown:
$session = New-CsOnlineSession -Credential (Get-Credential)
cmdlet New-CsOnlineSession at command pipeline position 1
Supply values for the following parameters:
New-CsOnlineSession : Cannot bind argument to parameter ‘TargetServer’ because it is an empty string.
At line:1 char:12
+ $session = New-CsOnlineSession -Credential $credential
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [New-CsOnlineSession], ParameterBindingValidationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorEmptyStringNotAllowed,New-CsOnlineSession
This happens even after you have installed the current version* of “Skype for Business Online, Windows PowerShell Module”.
To resolve this issue, make sure that you apply the latest version of Lync Server 2013 or patch/cumulative update described in KB2809243 over the out-dated version.
* version 9319.0 released 22 Jul 2015 as of this writing
Using Windows PowerShell to manage Skype for Business Online (link)
Microsoft Skype for Business Server 2015 Resource Kit Tools are provided to help make some routine tasks easier for IT administrators who deploy and manage Skype for Business Server 2015.
– [version 9319.253] released 5/5/2016
– download OCSReskit.msi
– described in KB2905053
– Tools and usage available in accompanying documentation:
- Audio Extractor
- Bandwidth Policy Service Monitor
- Bandwidth Utilization Analyzer
- Call Parkometer
- Cleanup Storage Service Data
- Import Storage Service Data
- Lookup User Console
- Network Configuration Viewer
- Response Group Agent Live
- Unassigned Number Announcements Migration
- Watson Support Tool for Lync Phone Edition
- Web Conf Data
Kurs: PowerShell V5: Einführung (IS35.16.31)
Wo: EB Zuerich
Start: Mi. 11. Mai 2016 x 8 Mal
Zeit: 1800 – 2130 Uhr
Es gibt noch weniger Plätze! Melden Sie sich heute hier an, um sich diese Gelegenheit nicht zu entgehen lassen.
Follow me for all the buzz -> @_leedesmond (Twitter)!
You are login with a Skype for Business Server administrative account holding appropriate rights/permissions on a workstation which is joined to the Active Directory domain. Upon executing a #skype4b command on the Control Panel or management shell, you encountered the error below:
Get-CsAddressBookConfiguration : Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication.
At line:1 char:1
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-CsAddressBookConfiguration], SqlConnectionException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Rtc.Common.Data.SqlConnectionException,Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Internal.GetAddressBookConfigurationCmdlet
If you have recently changed the account’s password, simply lock and unlock the administrative workstation using the updated credentials to fix this issue.
#Build2016 for Office Developers – What’s New?
What’s new at Build 2016 for Office Developers (link)
One workaround for this strange issue is to explicitly detach from and rejoin the member server FE01 to the AD domain. This should automatically fix the network category of the active network adapter* to “Domain network”.
Lastly, consider running nltest.exe with the /SC_QUERY and /SC_VERIFY switches to verify successful connection to the Active Directory network.
* connected to the production network
Attempts to manage your UC infrastructure with Skype for Business 2015 Control Panel or Management Shell on a #skype4b Front-End server, FE01 may provoke an error similar to the following:
Get-CsClientVersionPolicy: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network interfaces, error: 26 – Error Locating Server/Instance Specified).
You verified that Windows Firewall exception (port 1433) on the Microsoft SQL Server 201x database backend … Continue reading “Skype for Business: A network-related or instance-specific SQL error #26 … 1/2”
February 9, 2016, update for Lync 2013 (Skype for Business) (KB3114732)
- Version 15.0.4797.1000 (1.0 released 1 Feb 2016)
- Download lync2013-kb3114732-fullfile-x??-glb.exe (x86 or x64 bits)
– Microsoft Office 2013 Service Pack 1 (SP1); KB2817430
– MS15-044 Security update for Lync 2013 (Skype for Business): May 12, 2015; KB3039779
– Microsoft Office 2013 Language Pack Service Pack 1 (SP1); KB2817427
- KB 3136422 Call transfer button is missing when you answer a RGS call in skype for Business that is paired with a Polycom CX600
- KB 3136421 Can’t logon Lync 2013 (skype for Business) automatically after you install December 2015 update on a non-domain computer
- KB 3136420 Lync 2013 client crashes when you park outline voice calls
- KB 3136419 All options in the right-click menu aren’t working when you transfer a call to a searched user in Skype for Business
- KB 3136418 Wrong file size is displayed when you transfer a large file that is greater than two Gigabyte in Lync 2013 (Skype for Business)
- KB 3136400 No missed call notification generated in Lync 2013 (Skype for Business)
- KB 3051158 “Help isn’t working” error occurs when you open the “Skype for Business Help” window in Skype for Business
- KB 3051160 Cannot join meetings by using Lync 2010 after you install OneDrive for Business
- KB 3053998 Memory leak occurs when you transfer a file that is larger than 5 megabytes (MB) in a conversation in Skype for Business
Picture the same dilemma daily – so many new and re/twits (RT) but so little time to catch up! Here is a condensed version of twitter digest (‘favourite highlights’) for 1 – 16 January 2016 around Skype for Business / Lync collected in one convenient location. Only the original or initial twitter post with the actual source itself (not redirected “tiny URLs”) is listed although many of them were re-twitted RT.
Skype for Business and Lync 2013 Memory Usage
Skype for Business Hybrid Handbook, Version 1.2
Citrix HDX RealTime Optimization Pack 2.0
One Click Attach SIP-Stack Logs to current IM Session
Zen and the Art of Skype for Business Maintenance Version 1.0
Sonus’ WebRTC Services Solution Release 1.1 is Generally Available